Cloudburst

Archiving: just ask.
Rating: PG
Pairing:Tezu/Ryo
Date Written: August 18, 2005
Disclaimer: Not mine!
Notes: This ficlet was written for [info]two_if_by_sea, who asked for "Tezuka/Ryoma, a sudden hailstorm." Ever since she made this request, I have been picturing this scene, which is one of my favorite scenes from any Austen novel. Finally I couldn't help myself, and wrote this little piece in the spirit of Persuasion. And now I am having all kinds of trouble fighting off plot bunnies involving Captain Tezuka-as-Captain Wentworth, and Ryoma as Anne Elliot, and gah, if they have to wait seven years to get together I will CRY.



Ryoma has never gotten used to the sudden rains in Tokyo. He has, however, gotten used to Tezuka bringing his umbrella to practice on blindingly clear days; so that when it rains later on, as it always does, Tezuka has a space for Ryoma beneath it as they walk from the clubhouse--if Ryoma wants one.

It doesn't rain more the year after Tezuka has left Seigaku, but Ryoma feels as though he gets a lot wetter.

The trick of the umbrella is one he has yet to master two years on when he sees Tezuka again, on a day the sky has clouded over and burst open in the space of five minutes. Ryoma ducks inside his favorite sport equipment store to escape the storm, and Tezuka appears shortly thereafter, his outline perfect and unmistakeable even through the blurry windowpane.

Ryoma has seen Tezuka again on the court, many times, but he has never seen him with his hair full of rain, his clothes drenched, his glasses fogged over. "Buchou," he says in a rush of breath, because Tezuka is the most provocative sight he has ever seen. As Tezuka steps inside, the clatter on the pavement outside tells Ryoma the rain has turned to hail.

Ryoma wants it to last.

Tezuka stops short when he sees Ryoma, and looks at him in a way that makes the space between them suddenly feel palpable, a barrier to cross. It has been too long since they have seen each other.

"Buchou," Ryoma says again, noticing how easily the word flies back to him. "Where's your umbrella?"

"I gave it away to a woman on the train," Tezuka replies. "What's your excuse?"

Ryoma tugs down his cap, although he is no longer short enough to effectively hide his smile beneath it. "Che," he says with a shrug. "I can always buy one if I have to."

"If you have to buy one every time it rains," Tezuka says lightly, "You'll always miss the pleasure of sharing it with somebody else."

Ryoma tries to read Tezuka's expression and gets lost there, somewhere behind Tezuka's wet glasses and brown eyes.

"Maybe," he says softly, taking a step closer, "but I always had you for that."

Tezuka's eyes darken, and he fixes with the stare that unfailingly dismantles Ryoma's insides. The fact that in all this time that has not changed sends shivers up Ryoma's spine. He steps closer again, and Tezuka does too, and for a moment he can read Tezuka plainer than ever; Tezuka has not changed, but some things have evolved, grown sharper.

Tezuka begins, "Why don't we--"

He is cut off by the clamoring of voices and the spatter of rain on the steps outside as a group of people enter the shop, trampling in ice and muttering. One of them jostles Tezuka, and the moment is broken. Now they are just two spectators waiting out the rain like everyone else. A moment later, Momo enters the shop carrying an umbrella big enough for two. "Hey, Echizen, there you are," he says, and leaves off when he sees Ryoma's face glued to Tezuka. Ryoma knows he is supposed to be grateful, but he can't find a way to unstiffen Tezuka's expression, so instead he slides his hands into his pockets and shrugs instead of replying.

"The hailstorm is over," Tezuka says. "And I see you've found an umbrella."

He turns to Momo and exchanges a brief, respectful greeting, and then he is gone.

"Hey," says Momo a moment after his departure. "What's it like seeing him again?"

"Cold and wet," says Ryoma.

The next day, he buys his first umbrella. And waits.
<--Topgallant | Fanfiction | Harry Potter-->

Disclaimer:

These stories are based on characters and situations created and owned by Takeshi Konomi and Shonen Jump. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.



Miscellaneous Pairings:

all fics are arranged by alphabetical order.

Love!Shinji.
a silly little crack!ficlet. KamioxShinji, Mizuki. PG.